Tonight, Becky and I made a zucchini layered bake for dinner, with a recipe from Becky’s friend Jen Hancewicz. (One of Becky’s bridal shower gifts was a box of recipe cards with recipes contributed by the ladies who attended the shower (and some mailed in by the ladies who couldn’t make it). Very good idea, and we have gotten some very tasty recipes out of there!) It was utterly delicious. I could have eaten the whole dish. We each had two helpings, and then saved a good amount to put in our lunches tomorrow. Yum! Here’s the recipe:
qqq|Zucchini Layered Bake “for when the garden explodes”
6 c thin sliced zuch., steamed til just tender (note: we don’t have a steamer, so we boiled the zuch’s and they came out just fine)
1 lb ground turkey, browned/cooked thoroughly (could use beef)
2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped (we just used garlic powder)
2 c (one jar) spaghetti sauce
1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano
2 c cottage cheese (I don’t normally like cottage cheese, but it tasted fine in this recipe!)
1 TBSP chopped parsley
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 c dry bread crumbs
1 1/3 c shredded mozzarella
OPTIONAL: 1/2 lb dry pasta cooked and drained – good w/ and w/out pasta (note: we didn’t use pasta, and it was still delicious)
- Add sauce and spices to cooked turkey.
- Combined cottage cheese, eggs, parsley.
- In large oiled casserole, arrange in layers: Zuch. dusted with bread crumbs, turkey, cottage cheese, mozzarella (pasta under turkey mix), repeat as needed to fill and use up ingredients, but leave off some cheese for the top.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees
- Sprinkle w/remaining mozzarella cheese
- Bake another 5 minutes or until melted and bubbly
w/out pasta is really good w/ crusty garlic bread!