Here it is November 5th and the Wood family has yet to fire up the furnace. I had set a goal not to use the heat until October was over, but now it is a game to see how long we can go without it (and without the high heating bill!) We know that eventually it will get too cold and we’ll be happy to turn the heat on. Until then, though, here are some things that we’ve been doing to keep warm as the temperature starts to dip.
- wearing socks and slippers
- wearing sweaters
- drinking hot tea and cocoa
- eating soup
- exercising (tai bo, neighborhood walks, ddr)
- yard work
- opening the shades to the morning sun
- shutting the windows and doors up tight
- putting flannel sheets on the bed
- curling up with blankets to read or watch tv
All of these things are helping us to conserve natural resources. We’re using what we have on hand to keep warm instead of burning natural gas. And as an added bonus, the exercise and yard work have their own distinct benefits as well.
What are your favorite ways to keep warm?